Your fence is one of the first things people see when they look at your home. A dirty fence can give people the wrong first impression. And you only get once chance to make a FIRST impression. A clean fence, on the other hand, can add to your home’s curb appeal and property value.
Tips For Cleaning Your Wood Fence
- When using a pressure washer, make sure it is on a lighter setting. Wood should be washed with pressures between 500 and 800 PSI.
- Never use a hot-water pressure washer.
- Rinse off any cleaners, brighteners, or sealers within 15 minutes of application. Avoid letting these substances dry on the wood. This can leave residue and prevent proper adhesion or absorption of sealers.
- Bleach-based cleaners lighten the wood. Non-bleach based cleansers, gently remove the dirt and nail stains without any damage to the wood fibers or the wood’s natural color.
- Previously sealed fences usually need to be stripped before re-sealing.
Proper wood fence cleaning will accomplish the following:
• Eliminates dirt, mildew, mold, and algae
• Opens the pores of the wood
• Balances the pores of the wood so that the sealer bonds to each fiber.
• Saves you money over the long run.
Regular fence cleaning (and sealing) extends the life of your fence many times over!
If you have any questions, please contact Freedom Fence and Home by calling 443-271-6841 or visit our website.
With 40 years of experience, Freedom Fence & Home has provided the highest quality fence and decking materials to its many residential and commercial clients throughout Maryland, including Harford county as well many residential clients in Baltimore county and Baltimore city.
Please take a moment to browse our gallery of Finished Fence Projects. Click on any image to enlarge.