Wooden fences look great. They also require annual maintenance to not only ensure they continue to look good, but also last. Because of this, it is important to stain your wood fence each and every year. This will help protect your vulnerable wood fence from moisture. It will also help improve the look of your fence, which will have undoubtedly dulled over the last year.
Staining a Wood Fence
- Inspection: Inspect the fence for any signs of rotting or other problems. It is important to fix any issues before staining.
- Weather: Check the weather to make sure there is no rain in the forecast for at least 48 hours.
- Equipment: Assemble the equipment you will need to stain your fence. This includes brushes, drop cloths to protect any plants, and, of course, stain.
- Power Wash: Next, power wash the fence to remove any dirt and debris.
- Sealant: Once the fence has dried, apply a waterproof sealant.
- Test: Before staining anything, do a test patch to make sure you will be happy with the color.
- Staining: Apply the stain in the direction of the grain using short and even strokes. Repeat until desired color is reached.
- Sealant: Apply another layer of sealant.
Tired of the Seemingly Never-ending Maintenance? Have you considered a Vinyl Fence?
Initially, the cost of vinyl fencing is more than that of wood fencing, but you’ll save so much money in the long run when it comes to maintenance. Do new have your attention now? If you are interested in learning more about Vinyl fences, give Freedom Fence and Home a call today!
With 40 years of experience, Freedom Fence and Home has built a reputation for building the highest quality fences throughout Baltimore and Harford County, Maryland. We provide a high quality wood, vinyl, chain link, and aluminum fences and we stand behind our work.
If you have any questions, please contact Freedom Fence and Home by calling 443-271-6841 or visit our website. And don’t forget to take a moment to browse our gallery of Finished Fence Projects. Click on any image to enlarge.