Outdoor fire pits are a beautiful way to maximize the beauty and relaxation of your backyard. This stylish hardscaping feature can be installed directly into your patio or in another part of your yard and offer warmth throughout the night. If you have a fire pit in your yard, it’s important to be be safe while having fun outside. Be cautious and stay aware when around a fire pit.
Fire Pit Safety Tips
Make sure that your entire family knows the rules of the fire pit. A great tip is to keep a sign of safety rules posted near the backdoor leading to your patio for a quick reminder. This is the best tactic when dealing with children who tend forget information. Also, never allow your children or family to play near your fire pit, whether it is on or off.
Tips to Follow When Operating a Fire Pit:
- Check the wind direction before lighting a fire
- Never use flammable liquids to light a fire. Flammable liquids include gasoline, lighter fluid, and anything else designed to ignite quickly.
- Never wear flammable or loose-fitting clothing near a lit fire pit.
- Don’t use soft woods like pine or cedar in your fire pit. These soft woods pop as they burn and can throw dangerous sparks on the area surrounding your fire pit.
- Keep all children and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire pit at all times. Make it clear that the fire pit is something that they can observe from far away but never touch, run near, or play with.
- Keep your fire pit at least 10 feet away from any structures in your yard or your neighbor’s yard
- Never place your fire pit underneath low-hanging tree branches
- Never put a fire pit on grass or on a wood deck.
For Your Fencing and Decking Needs All Year Long
Whether you want a brand new patio in the spring or want to install a beautiful new wood fence, Freedom Fence and Home has the expertise, competitive prices, and professional service you need. Freedom Fence and Home has over 50 years of fencing experience in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. area and we pride ourselves on giving our customers the best customer service experience possible. To see examples of our work and pick the right fence for your home, visit us online. To get started on planning your project, give us a call at (443) 271-6841 or visit us online. For more information, tips, and updates about Freedom Fence and Home, follow us on Google+,Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook.